Anne Crosby Emery Allinson led a campaign for a building and auditorium for the Club, which was built in 1926 at Abbott Park Place.Allinson, Anne Crosby Emery
In the fall of 1926 Anne Crosby Emery Allinson became editor of the women’s page of the "Providence Evening Bulletin," and her column, "The Distaff," appeared for the next six years.Allinson, Anne Crosby Emery
The campaign continued until 1926, when the $50,000 contributed by the students and the $150,000 contributed by the alumnae, together with Mr. Metcalf’s matching funds, were deemed sufficient to start the building.Alumnae Hall
Harold S. Bucklin was involved with many of the social institutions in Rhode Island and served as chairman of the Americanization Commission in 1919 and member of the Children’s Law Commission in 1926 and of the Juvenile Court Commission in 1938.Bucklin, Harold S.
At its class reunion in 1981 the Class of 1926 dedicated its class memorial, a spot in back of Sayles Hall with redwood benches among the trees and shrubs which surround a bronze plaque inscribed, "The Happiest Moments of Life’s Fleeting Hours ... Class of 1926."Campus
S. J. Perelman ’25, in later life a well-known humorist, wrote in a letter to the "Brown Daily Herald:" A committee on chapel services was appointed by President Faunce in 1926 to improve the quality of chapel services.Chapel
A third committee was appointed in 1924, with the result that an amendment to the Charter in 1926 provided that the number of trustees be increased from 36 to 42 and that there be no denominational requirement for the additional trustees.Charter
James Q. Dealey also published "The Development of the States" in 1909, "The Family in its Sociological Aspects" in 1912, "Growth of the State Constitutions" in 1915, "State and Government" in 1921, "Foreign Policies of the United States" in 1926, and "Political Situations in Rhode Island" in 1928.Dealey, James Q.
The 1926 team displayed its versatility by winning its first debate with Princeton (Brown in favor of the Volstead Act), and going on to defeat Amherst the next week (Brown against the Volstead Act), but when this popular subject came up in the first debate between the men and women of Brown in 1928, the Women’s College team defeated the University team, having defended the affirmative side of the subject, "Resolved: that the Volstead Act be modified to permit the use of light wines and beers."Debating
Harrison E. Farnsworth taught at the University of Pittsburgh in 1918-19, was a teaching assistant and research fellow at the University of Wisconsin from 1919 to 1924 and associate professor at the University of Maine from 1924 until 1926, when he came to Brown as assistant professor of physics.Farnsworth, Harrison E.
A student loan fund, established in 1926-27, authorized a committee to lend annually through a local trust company up to $50,000.Financial aid
In 1926 Robinson was replaced by DeOrmond "Tuss" McLaughry from Amherst, who was to lead Brown into a new era of football.Football
In the middle of the 1926 season the "Iron Men" came into being when the same eleven men played against Yale for sixty minutes and a 7-0 win.Football
The coaches and their records (assuming that the early coaches were there for the whole season, which may or may not have been so) were: Mr. Howland (4-5-1) in 1892; William Odlin (6-3-0) in 1893; Mr. Norton (10-5-0) in 1894; Wallace Moyle (18-15-2) from 1895 to 1897; Edward North Robinson (140-82-12) in his three times as coach from 1898 to 1901, from 1904 to 1907, and from 1910 to 1925; John A. Gammons (17-10-2) in 1902, 1908, and 1909; David Fultz (5-4-1) in 1903; DeOrmond "Tuss" McLaughry (76-58-5) from 1926 to 1940; J. Neil "Skip" Stahley (14-11-0) from 1941 to 1943; Charles A.Football
Again relieved of his job along with assistant coach Reginald W. P. Brown, he coached the Boston University team from 1926 to 1928 and the Providence Steamrollers from 1931 to 1934.Football
Between 1888 and 1926 the number of degrees conferred amounted to 132 Ph.D. degrees, 1,001 Master of Arts degrees, 98 Master of Science degrees, and 5 Master of Business Administration degrees.Graduate School
Hegeman Hall, was built at the corner of George and Thayer Streets in 1926 with $250,000 provided by the John R. Hegeman Foundation.Hegeman Hall
Brown students organized class teams which played each other in the new arena, and regained official recognition from the University in 1926, when James H. Gardner, the coach of the Reds, was hired to coach the new Brown team.Hockey
The 1926-27 team lost its first two games, but ended the season with a 4-4 record.Hockey
Hockey coaches at Brown have been James H. Gardner in 1926-27, Jean Dubuc from 1927 to 1929, Thomas W. Taylor from 1929 to 1932, Robert Taylor from 1931 to 1933, Thomas W. Taylor again from 1933 to 1938, and Arthur J. Lesieur in 1938-39.Hockey
He did manage to purchase Byron’s blue-plumed helmet, which occupied a place of honor in the Howe household and was eventually returned to Greece by his daughter, Maud Howe Elliott, in 1926.Howe, Samuel Gridley
Walter S. Hunter was editor of "Psychological Index" from 1926 to its termination in 1936, and editor of "Psychological Abstracts" from 1926 until 1946, when he resigned because he thought twenty years was long enough for a single editor.Hunter, Walter S.
Paul N. Kistler worked for Bethlehem Steel Company and Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania before coming to Brown as assistant professor of engineering in 1926.Kistler, Paul N.
Lacrosse gained varsity standing in 1926 after two years of informal play, with a team, coached by freshman football and basketball coach Ben Beck, which played five games for one win, three losses, and one tie.Lacrosse
A U.S. Post Office was first installed at Brown in 1926, when it was placed in a rented section of a small building at the junction of Waterman and Brown Streets near Rockefeller Hall.Post Office
Alonzo W. Quinn graduated from Denison University in 1924, then did graduate work at Kansas University and the State University of Iowa, where he received a master of science degree in 1926.Quinn, Alonzo W.
After study at Yale, Cambridge University, and the University of Copenhagen, Norris W. Rakestraw was assistant professor at Oberlin College for a year before coming to Brown in 1926 as assistant professor in charge of beginning work in chemistry.Rakestraw, Norris W.
A ritual of initiation prepared by Professor Sharon Brown and first used on May 25, 1926, began, "The Sphinx invites you to hear her riddles," and ended, "In the solving of her riddles may you find the Truth.Sphinx Club