In January 1904 the board of directors of the Brown University Athletic Association repealed by a 7-2 vote the rule which barred students who had ever engaged in athletics outside the University for money from representing Brown in intercollegiate contests.Athletics
In 1904-05 athletics showed a profit of only $168.08 after expenses had been subtracted from receipts of $14,306.57.Athletics
After receiving a bachelor of science degree from Central Normal College in Danville, Indiana, in 1898, Arthur M. Banta earned a bachelor of arts degree in 1903 and a master of arts degree in 1904 at the University of Indiana, where he began his work under Carl Eigenmann, investigating fauna of a local cave.Banta, Arthur M.
The team and the college were looking forward to a great season in 1904, but the entire team played summer ball and was disqualified.Baseball
The 1904 team was therefore made up entirely of inexperienced men who had never played on a varsity squad, with the expected result of a losing season brightened by unexpected victories over Princeton, Holy Cross, and Dartmouth.Baseball
The Bear, as the mascot of Brown University, had its beginning when Theodore Francis Green1887, a member of the building committee for Rockefeller Hall, placed the head of a real Brown bear above the arch that was the central feature of the trophy room in time for the opening of the new student union in January 1904.Bear
Marion L. Shorey was instructor in physiology and household economics from 1904 to 1906, as was Alice W. Wilcox from 1906 to 1913.Biology
Brownies was an all-college society of the Women’s College founded in 1904 to promote college spirit and to foster the relationship between the undergraduates and the alumnae by social activities such as dances, stunts, and May Day festivities.Brownies
In 1904 the Union opened a dining room for regular boarders and a lunch room for general patronage in the charge of Arthur Jefferson (Jumbo).Brown Union
Carrie Tower was erected in 1904, a gift of Paul Bajnotti of Turin, Italy, and a memorial to his wife, born Caroline Mathilde Brown, granddaughter of Nicholas Brown 1786, for whom the University is named, and daughter of Nicholas Brown 1811.Carrie Tower
The 1904 edition included for the first time the names of those who had attended but had not graduated.Catalogues
Captain "Cap" Cameron, the Scotsman, was the night patrol from about 1904.College servants
The Master of Science degree was first awarded in 1905 to Warren A. Clough 1904 and George B. Obear.Degrees
George Elliot Downing (1904-1977), professor of art, was born in Marquette, Michigan, on June 19, 1904.Downing, George E.
Faunce House was originally named Rockefeller Hall when the west end of the present building was erected in 1904.Faunce House
Inscribed in stone on the north side of the building are quotations in French: "Il se faut entr’aide C’est la loi de nature" and in Latin: "Vivat, Floreat, Crescat, Brunonia" The new building was dedicated on January 20, 1904, and provided on the first floor a large reading room, a central room for the exhibition of college trophies, and a smoking room.Faunce House
The coaches and their records (assuming that the early coaches were there for the whole season, which may or may not have been so) were: Mr. Howland (4-5-1) in 1892; William Odlin (6-3-0) in 1893; Mr. Norton (10-5-0) in 1894; Wallace Moyle (18-15-2) from 1895 to 1897; Edward North Robinson (140-82-12) in his three times as coach from 1898 to 1901, from 1904 to 1907, and from 1910 to 1925; John A. Gammons (17-10-2) in 1902, 1908, and 1909; David Fultz (5-4-1) in 1903; DeOrmond "Tuss" McLaughry (76-58-5) from 1926 to 1940; J. Neil "Skip" Stahley (14-11-0) from 1941 to 1943; Charles A.Football
Edward North Robinson was coach three separate times, during the seasons of 1898 to 1901, 1904 to 1907, and 1910 to 1925, a total of 23 years.Football
In 1904 he returned to Brown for three more seasons, but in June 1907 read in the paper that he was not being rehired.Football
A recognized scholar in his field, Henry T. Fowler was the author of a number of books, among them "The Prophets as Statesmen and Preachers," published in 1904 and translated into Portuguese in 1924, "The Origin and Growth of the Hebrew Religion" in 1916, translated into Chinese in 1925, and "The History and Literature of the New Testament" in 1925.Fowler, Henry T.
Meetings were held in the "Arnold Block" until 1904, when the chapter purchased a house at 54 College Street.Fraternities
From 1904 to 1908Charles A. Kraus was a research assistant in physical chemistry at M.I.T., where he received his Ph.D. degree in 1908, after which he was a research associate until 1912, and associate professor of physical chemical research from 1912 to 1914.Kraus, Charles A.
The records were kept by the City Engineer after 1876, the observatory after 1890, and the United States Weather Bureau beginning in 1904.Ladd Observatory
Although some government offices were not enthusiastic about opening their files to Leland, he published in 1904 a "Guide to the Archives of the Government of the United States in Washington," the first comprehensive listing.Leland, Waldo G.
During the first year of the Sayles Hall organ he conducted two series of concerts, before his resignation in 1904.Music
No classes in music are listed in the course announcement for the years 1904-05 through 1907-08.Music
Archie Hahn was the winner of three titles, the 60-metre, the 100-metre and the 200-metre in 1904 and the 100-metre in the off-year Olympics held in Athens in 1906.Olympic Games
(Sidney Joseph) Perelman (1904-1979), humorist, was born in Brooklyn on February 1, 1904, but grew up in Providence, where his father raised chickens (for which his son cherished a life-long hatred), and operated a dry-goods store on Smith Hill.Perelman, S. J.
In 1904 the maximum was changed to one-fifth and the minimum to one-sixth, and in 1914 another change set the minimum at one-eighth and the maximum at one-sixth.Phi Beta Kappa
In 1904 a requirement that members be chosen only from candidates for the A.B. or Ph.B. degree who had done two-fifths of their work in the humanities was adopted in order to discriminate between eligibility for Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi.Phi Beta Kappa
Janet Auty was instructor from 1901 to 1904, followed by Jessie Adams from 1906, who resigned in December 1906 because of ill health, and was replaced by Helen Wilbur Paine, who taught until 1912.Physical Education
"College Hill Verse," "Being Selections from Student Publications of Brown University, 1894-1904," was compiled and arranged by Ilsley Boone 1904 in 1904.Poetry
The course in elementary law was taken over by Chester W. Barrows from 1899 until 1903, and then taught by William W. Moss until 1904, when the course, which had become a pre-law school course, was discontinued.Political Science
In 1904 a small addition on the south side of the building replaced the lean-to where live animals were kept.Rhode Island Hall
Roland G. D. Richardson graduated from Acadia College in 1898 and received a bachelor’s degree in 1903, a master’s in 1904, and a Ph.D. in 1906, all from Yale.Richardson, Roland G. D.
Roland G. D. Richardson was instructor in mathematics at Yale from 1904 to 1907, when he came to Brown as assistant professor of pure mathematics.Richardson, Roland G. D.