Aldrich Field on Elmgrove Avenue was dedicated at a baseball game on May 16, 1925, before a crowd of 7000, which filled the new grandstand and "a small wooden stand ... hastily erected to accommodate the overflow."Aldrich Field
In 1924 the Aldrich brothers had subscribed $100,000 toward the new athletic facilities, and on April 8, 1925 added $500,000 on condition that the University could match this amount from other sources.Aldrich Field
In 1925 Anne Crosby Emery Allinson was elected member-at-large of the Providence School Committee, and served until 1931, when she declined to seek reelection.Allinson, Anne Crosby Emery
George K. Anderson graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy at the age of thirteen, and spent a postgraduate year there before entering Harvard, where he earned three degrees, a bachelor of arts in 1920, a master of arts in 1921, and a Ph.D. in 1925.Anderson, George K.
Millar Burrows came to Brown as assistant professor of Biblical literature and history of religions after receiving his doctorate from Yale in 1925.Burrows, Millar
President Faunce lauded the Cammarian Club in his annual report for 1925, "We are fortunate in having every year in the Cammarian Club men of good character and high standing who may be safely trusted by Faculty and by students to deal wisely with the many phases of college life in which both are concerned.Cammarian Club
The January 1925 issue proclaimed that ""Casements does not apologize for being late ... somewhat less richly clad, but triumphant over divers (sic) vicissitudes."Casements
"He organized volunteer groups in Rhode Island to observe the total eclipse in January 1925.Clinton Harvey Currier
In 1925 the University submitted a swatch of brown material to the Textile Color Card Association of the United States, Inc. to ascertain its exact shade (which proved to be Tobacco), and at that time the University colors were recorded by the Association, apparently mistakenly, as brown and white.College color
Damon was to become one of the world’s leading authorities on Blake, publishing "A New Page in Blake’s Milton" in 1925, "Blake’s Grave" in 1963, "A Blake Dictionary" in 1965, and two texts to accompany Blake’s illustrations for the Book of Job, "The Doctrine of Job" in 1950, and "Blake’s Job" in 1966.Damon, Samuel Foster
Two students earned their M.B.A. degree in 1923, one in 1924, and two in 1925, after which the degree was discontinued.Degrees
Degrees with distinction were awarded for the first time in June of 1925, when 27 bachelors’ degrees "cum laude," eighteen "magna cum laude," and five "summa cum laude," conferred honor upon fifteen per cent of the graduating class.Degrees
More space was found for Engineering in 1925, when the President’s report announced, "The new Engineering Laboratory includes both a new one-story structure, in the rear of Brunonia Hall, and the renovated stone building adjacent, which the University has owned for some years.Engineering
An all home game schedule was arranged for the season of 1925, the first played in the new stadium on Elmgrove Avenue.Football
The coaches and their records (assuming that the early coaches were there for the whole season, which may or may not have been so) were: Mr. Howland (4-5-1) in 1892; William Odlin (6-3-0) in 1893; Mr. Norton (10-5-0) in 1894; Wallace Moyle (18-15-2) from 1895 to 1897; Edward North Robinson (140-82-12) in his three times as coach from 1898 to 1901, from 1904 to 1907, and from 1910 to 1925; John A. Gammons (17-10-2) in 1902, 1908, and 1909; David Fultz (5-4-1) in 1903; DeOrmond "Tuss" McLaughry (76-58-5) from 1926 to 1940; J. Neil "Skip" Stahley (14-11-0) from 1941 to 1943; Charles A.Football
Edward North Robinson was coach three separate times, during the seasons of 1898 to 1901, 1904 to 1907, and 1910 to 1925, a total of 23 years.Football
Left without a coaching job that year, he was coach at Tufts in 1909, and the next year was once more at Brown, remaining this time until 1925.Football
A recognized scholar in his field, Henry T. Fowler was the author of a number of books, among them "The Prophets as Statesmen and Preachers," published in 1904 and translated into Portuguese in 1924, "The Origin and Growth of the Hebrew Religion" in 1916, translated into Chinese in 1925, and "The History and Literature of the New Testament" in 1925.Fowler, Henry T.
They moved from 81 Waterman Street to 36 Prospect Street, before purchasing the house at 50 Waterman Street from George S. Baker in 1925.Fraternities
Ray Lorenzo Heffner, thirteenth president of Brown University, was born in Durham, North Carolina, on May 7, 1925.Heffner, Ray L.
In 1925 the Rhode Island Auditorium, the first indoor artificial ice rink in the area, was built on North Main Street in Providence, sparking a renewed interest in hockey as the Rhode Island Reds competed in the Canadian-American Hockey League.Hockey
Hunter became an instructor at the University of Texas in 1912, adjunct professor at the University of Kansas in 1916, and the first G. Stanley Hall Professor of Genetic Psychology at Clark University in 1925.Hunter, Walter S.
In the fall of 1925 the infirmary moved to a small wooden house at 10 Manning Street between Marston Hall and the Psi Upsilon house, which housed the offices of Dr. Burgess and Dr. Wilfred Pickles ’18, and provided seven beds where ill students could be kept under observation by a trained nurse at all times.Infirmary
A four-year physical education requirement for women students was put effect in 1925.Physical Education
In those years there were courses in international relations and foreign governments, and other specialties, such as Sea Power (offered only in 1919), Business Law in 1919, American Foreign Policies in 1921, Corporation Law in 1922, and State Government in 1925.Political Science
Charles H. Smiley attended the University of California at Los Angeles and the University of California at Berkeley, graduating with highest honors in mathematics in 1924, and earned his M.A. degree in 1925 and his Ph.D. in mathematics in 1927 at Berkeley.Smiley, Charles H.
Soccer became an organized sport in 1925 with an informal team coached by basketball coach Harold Evans, which on November 14, lost its only game, 0-1, to the Pawtucket Y.M.C.A. Brown’s first official soccer coach, Samuel Fletcher, lasted for 21 seasons, before he resigned in 1946 to move to Florida.Soccer
In 1925-26 eleven new clay courts were added, and Brown won six of eight dual meets.Tennis
He advanced to assistant professor in 1901, associate professor in 1910, and professor in 1925.Thomas Crosby
After the war there were regular, but not drastic increases, $200 in 1919, $250 in 1921, $300 in 1922, $350 in 1925, and $400 in 1928.Tuition
When office space was badly needed in 1925, the dormitory rooms on the second floor were taken over, and offices of the Departments of English and History moved in.University Hall
Vice Presidents have been part of the administration since 1925 when that title was given to Albert Davis Mead after several months during which he assumed some of the duties of President Faunce, whose illness prevented his full attention to presidential responsibilities.Vice Presidents