The society, with Smiley and Brown librarian Harry Lyman Koopman as active members, used the facilities of Ladd Observatory until 1936, when, newly incorporated as "Skyscrapers Inc.," it purchased the observatory formerly owned by Frank E. Seagrave in North Scituate, Rhode Island.Astronomy
The fencing team had winning seasons in 1934 and 1935, but by 1936 the varsity team was reduced to five members, who had to double up in order to have three contenders on each of the sabre, epee, and foils.Fencing
Lambda Chi Alpha lived in Hope College, at 411 Brook Street, and at 57 Waterman Street before 1936 when the house became University property.Fraternities
The Brown University Council was established in 1936 with the purpose of increasing the financial resources of the University through a continuous cultivation of interest among alumni and friends.Fund-raising
The 228-seat lecture room on the ground floor was named the Leonard Carmichael Auditorium in honor of the department chairman from 1927 to 1936, and the seminar room on the second floor was named in honor of Professor Edmund Burke Delabarre, who founded Brown’s psychology laboratory in 1892.Hunter Laboratory
Walter S. Hunter was editor of "Psychological Index" from 1926 to its termination in 1936, and editor of "Psychological Abstracts" from 1926 until 1946, when he resigned because he thought twenty years was long enough for a single editor.Hunter, Walter S.
In December 1936 the editors of the student newspapers of seven of the eight colleges printed a joint editorial proposing "an Ivy League in fact, not just the one in the minds of sportswriters."Ivy League
After graduation from Hartford High School, Keeney went to the University of North Carolina where he participated in track, majored in history, and graduated at the top of his class in 1936.Keeney, Barnaby C.
Paul N. Kistler was also called upon by the State of Rhode Island in 1936 to travel to Canton, Ohio, to inspect the new voting machines ordered for the state.Kistler, Paul N.
Charles A. Kraus was awarded the William H. Nichols Medal of the New York section of the American Chemical Society in 1924, the Theodore William Richards Medal of the Chicago section in 1935 and the Northeastern section in 1936, the Willard Gibbs Medal of the Chicago section in 1935, the Franklin Medal in 1938 and the Priestly Medal in 1950.Kraus, Charles A.
The first two students were graduated from the nursing school in 1935 and received their degrees in 1936.Nursing program
Miss Skoogland initiated a review of the nursing program, addressing a questionnaire to the 45 graduates from 1936 to 1948, and a meeting of a "Special Committee on the Five Year Program" composed of University and hospital representatives was held on November 3, 1948.Nursing program
Named for two principal donors, both members of the Class of 1936, Joseph Olney and Moe Price Margolies, it is sometimes called the "Joe-Moe Building."Olney-Margolies Athletic Center
Ronald M. Mackenzie ’26 was a member of the United States bobsled team in the 1936 Olympics.Olympic Games
Frederick Pollard, Jr. ’37 finished third in the 110-metres high hurdles in 1936 in Berlin.Olympic Games
Pembroke Field, bounded by Hope, Meeting, Brook, and Cushing Streets, was formerly the estate of Charles T. Aldrich 1877 and Henry L. Aldrich 1876, received through their bequest and dedicated on October 24, 1936.Pembroke Field
The second floor was made into a lounge with a large fireplace, the gift of the class of 1936.Pembroke Field
R. Bruce Lindsay 1920, who returned to teach in 1930, became chairman of the department in 1934 and Hazard professor in 1936.Physics
In 1936 a few students under Commodore Deane K. Fox ’37 and faculty advisor Zenas R. Bliss ’18, twice navigator of America’s Cup defenders, reorganized the club, bought dinghies, and raced informally with the Narragansett Boat Club, which had also provided headquarters for the new Brown Club.Sailing
The club’s initial victory in an intercollegiate regatta sponsored by Brown and held in Bristol in May 1936 attracted alumni contributions of $2,400 for the purchase of eight Dyer dinghies to bring the fleet up to sixteen.Sailing
On December 5, 1936 Brown hosted a regatta on the Seekonk and won over M.I.T., Harvard, Dartmouth, and Williams.Sailing
In 1936 Henry D. 1894 Sharpe was named chairman of the University Council, a group formed to work out a long-term program for increasing Brown’s financial resources.Sharpe, Henry D. 1894
"Sir Brown," subtitled "A Magazine for Brown Men," made its first appearance with a trial number which came out in May of 1936.Sir Brown
As an aid to teaching courses in mycology and forest pathology, Walter H. Snell began collecting mycological terms and in 1936 produced a list, "Three thousand Mycological Terms," which was typed by his assistant, Esther A. Dick ’31.Snell, Walter H.
Fletcher’s top season records were 6-1-1 in 1934, 6-0-2 in 1936 when William Margeson ’37 led the team to a New England Soccer League title (and personally scored three goals in Brown’s first victory over Yale), 8-1-2 in 1937 (the only loss was to West Point), and 6-1 in 1945.Soccer
The presentation of the class flower was included in the masque until 1936.Sophomore Masque
WBRU was the first college radio station in the country when it began in 1936 as the Brown Network, when George Abraham ’40 and David Borst ’40 strung wires for an inter-dormitory connection to relay the messages and recorded music which Abraham had begun broadcasting to his fellow students on November 30.WBRU
George G. Wilson retired from Harvard in 1936, but remained on the faculty of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, which had been opened in 1933 under the administration of Tufts College with the cooperation of Harvard, until 1941.Wilson, George G.