Agricultural lands were awarded to Brown as a result of the Morrill Act passed by Congress in July 1862, giving land scrip to states and territories which established a college or department of agriculture and the mechanic arts, at which some students would be educated at the rate of $100 a year to the extent of the annual income from the sale of the lands.Agricultural lands
Brown men who were college presidents in foreign countries are Josiah Nelson Cushing 1862 of the Baptist College in Rangoon, Albert Arnold Bennett 1872 of the Baptist Theological Seminary of Japan, Wilbur Brown Parshley 1886 of Yokohama Theological Seminary, and Francois Jacobus de Villiers of Dower College, South Africa.College and University Presidents
In 1863 the University also created a committee of public lands to be responsible for the agricultural lands assigned to the University as a result of the Morrill Act in 1862.Corporation
An earlier brief encounter had taken place in 1862, when the Brown "Paper "announced, "We are glad to record the appearance among us of a new game ...Cricket
Four sons and a stepson came to Brown University; Adoniram Brown Judson 1859, a physician, Elnathan Judson 1859, a journalist, Edward Judson 1862, a Baptist clergyman, Henry Hall Judson 1864, who left Brown for Williams College, and George Dana Boardman 1852, a Baptist minister.Judson, Adoniram
The crew consisted of Adoniram Brown Judson 1859, Elnathan Judson 1859, Edward H. Sears 1862, Charles H. Perry 1859, Charles D. Cady 1861, and Pardon S. Jastram 1860.Rowing
The old Rogers Hall, which was built as the chemical laboratory in 1862, became a large entrance lobby connected to the new building which houses a main auditorium for 576 persons on the first level, and below another auditorium for 220.Salomon Center for Teaching
Louis Franklin Snow (1862-1934), first dean of the Women’s College, was born in Providence on April 19, 1862.Snow, Louis F.
Lester turned to teaching school and studied at Susquehanna Collegiate Institute at Towanda from January 1861 to June 1862.Ward, Lester F.