Andrews House, at 13 Brown Street, was opened on January 4, 1939, as a 50-bed infirmary, replacing the former infirmary at 10 Manning Street.Andrews House
In 1939 he was named chairman of a National Research Council on tables, which led to the founding of a journal, "Mathematical Tables and Other Aids to Computation," of which Archibald was editor.Archibald, Raymond C.
In 1922 Alfred H. Gurney ’07 took the job and remained until June 1939, his title having been changed in 1925 to Alumni Secretary.Associated Alumni
In 1939-40 the group aided in building a Schwarzchild camera, f/3.5 of twelve inches aperture, the second of its kind in the country, which was used at the total solar of eclipse of October 1, 1940.Astronomy
In 1939 the Carnegie Institution published Banta’s "Studies on the Physiology, Genetics and Evolution of some Cladocera" (water flea), which he had researched at Cold Spring Harbor and completed at Brown after a temporary setback when two suitcases which contained the results of five years of his research were stolen from his locked car in New York City.Banta, Arthur M.
Robert P. Casey was a member of the Van Expedition, sponsored by the Museum of the University of Pennsylvania and the Brown Department of Biblical Literature, in 1938 and 1939 to excavate the ancient city of Van in Turkish Armenia.Casey, Robert P.
Leallyn B. Clapp taught mathematics at Paris High School for three years while he saved money for graduate school at the University of Illinois where he earned a master’s degree in 1939 and a Ph.D. in 1941.Clapp, Leallyn B.
Bernard Hand, who came from Ireland and served in the Providence Police Department from 1902 to 1939, was the friendly campus policeman at Brown from 1939 to 1949, who "had a way with boys" and kept them out of trouble.College servants
In 1939-40 Sarah Doyle House, originally called Bowen House, on the Pembroke campus was opened as a student health center.Infirmary
Architect’s plans were drawn up for a marble addition about the same size as the original building, but what the University was able to afford in 1939 was a new wing, which added seating for 140 readers in two reading rooms, study carrells for fifty students, and stack space for 150,000 volumes.John Hay Library
A much needed addition was built on the John Hay Library in 1939, not the adjacent marble structure of equal size that had been designed, but a less costly brick wing providing two floors of reading space and six floors of stacks.Library
President Wriston announced in his annual report in June 1939: In the summer of 1941 a Program of Advanced Instruction and Research in Mechanics was organized by Professor Richardson with the support of the U.S. Office of Education and the Carnegie Foundation.Mathematics
First steps toward establishing a unit for air training under the Civil Aeronautics Authority began in 1939.Military education
He was named chairman of the department in 1939, a post he held until 1963.Music
Nazi interference with his work in Denmark led him to come to Brown in 1939 as professor of mathematics, bringing with him the journal which Otto Neugebauer was editing and would continue to edit at Brown, "Mathematical Reviews."Neugebauer, Otto
In 1939-40 the society was enlarged and given definite functions, including the guardianship of the bear mascot and the direction of the Campus Sing and the Senior Frolic.Owl and Ring
On June 9, 1939, the Rockefeller Foundation agreed "to appropriate up to $49,000 to Brown University for expenses of installing a Microfilm Photographic Laboratory, and of supplementing through filming the resources of the Library in the field of mathematics during the period ending June 30, 1944."Photographic Laboratory
In 1939 brain wave records taken under his direction were admitted in a Rhode Island court for the first time as evidence in a murder trial.Psychology
In 1939 a portion of the graduate dormitory, formerly occupied by Lambda Chi Alpha, was demolished to make room for the John HayLibrary addition, and its residents were housed at a University owned building at 34 Olive Street.Student housing