First, in lifting Providence from a condition of well nigh medieval squalor in 1884 – to the hygienic and sanitary perfection of today – and second, in the founding of our City Hospital and its later organization, in which Charles V. Chapin played so important part."Chapin, Charles V.
Cheering for athletic teams and the need for a cheerleader was mentioned in the "Brunonian" in 1884, which noted, "The sympathy and approval of a college rung out in a ‘three-times-three’ does much in any inter-collegiate competition, to nerve the representatives of that college for a victorious struggle," and went on to suggest, "Is there any good reason why our men should not sit together and cheer together instead of dividing into four or five small groups, each keeping different time from the others?Cheering
He began selling food on the chapel steps in 1884, having paid five dollars to a former peddler named Asberry Neal, who had been in the business for seven years and was now leaving town, for the opportunity to replace him.College servants
At the age of 17 James Q. Dealey joined two older brothers employed by the "Galveston News," and worked in various capacities at the newspaper until 1884, when he decided to resume his education.Dealey, James Q.
John E. Hill received a bachelor of science degree in 1884, a civil engineering degree in 1887, and a master of science degree in 1892, all from Rutgers.Hill, John E.
Jameson was active in the American Historical Association from the time of its founding in 1884 and was president of the association in 1907.Jameson, John Franklin
The next year the appointed members of the Class of 1884, protesting the current practice of appointing the speakers, which, according to the "Brunonian," was based "almost entirely according to the marks obtained in "all" the studies during the entire previous course, slightly modified by particular excellence in speaking and writing," asked to be excused from speaking.Junior and Senior Exhibitions
The three-story house was built in 1884 by Nancy Bishop, sister-in-law of the wife of General Ambrose Burnside.Kassar House
Keen was professor of artistic anatomy at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts from 1876 to 1890, professor of surgery at the Women’s Medical College from 1884 to 1889, and professor of surgery at Jefferson Medical College from 1889 to 1907.Keen, William Williams
When Winslow Upton came to Brown as professor of astronomy in 1884, it was understood that the University would build an observatory.Ladd Observatory
One of these is the Harris Collection of American Poetry and Plays, which was bequeathed to the University in 1884 by Senator Henry Bowen Anthony 1833.Library
The Metcalf Botanical Garden, occupying between thirteen and fourteen acres between Morris Avenue and Cypress Street was deeded to Brown in 1884 by Mrs. Almira T. Metcalf as a permanent memorial to her husband, Whiting Taft Metcalf, who had planted about half of the hundred trees on the site.Metcalf Botanical Garden
In 1884, arrangements were made for the students, who were dissatisfied with the limited accommodations which the Y.M.C.A. had afforded them, to use Smith’s Gymnasium in Butler Exchange for five dollars a year.Physical Education
Despite his satisfaction with the state of the University, his resignation was saddened by, and perhaps precipitated by the fact that his son, Gilman P. Robinson 1878, who had been registrar of the University since 1884, had been charged with failing to deposit cash payments of tuition to the credit of the University.Robinson, Ezekiel Gilman
When the class of 1884 decided to erect a gate in his memory in 1924, an editorial in the "Brown Alumni Monthly," recalled Robinson as viewed by his students, "We may not all have loved him then, but we respected him.Robinson, Ezekiel Gilman
Some of the songs written in celebration of Brown were "Mother Dear, Brunonia" and "Hail, Brunonia," both with words by Henry R. Palmer 1890, "On the Chapel Steps," by Joel N. Eno 1883 and George C. Gow 1884, "Bruno," by A. G. Chaffee ’02, "God Bless Our University," with words by Henry R. Palmer 1890 and music by Jules Jordan, and "Bring the Victory to Brown," by Donald Jackson ’09.Songs
Included were "Alma Mater" by Marion F. Catlin ’12, "College Days" by Grace Sherwood ’06, "Our College" by Mildred C. Bishop ’12, and "What Shall We Sing of College Days" by Hilda R. Bronson ’13 to music by Frank M. Bronson 1884.Songs
In 1884 a separate position of caretaker of buildings and grounds was created, to which Archibald G. Delaney was appointed, and the title of steward, though a misnomer for the new position, was revived.Steward
The officers of the association were Abram Barker 1883, H. B. Gardner 1884, and J.Tennis
An elaborate flier which heralded the publication listed the names of a number of important men on its board of directors, including Royal B. Farnum, educational director at the Rhode Island School of Design, as president of the board, and Hermon C. Bumpus 1884, former president of Tufts College, as secretary.Town and Gown
In 1884 the Advisory and Executive Committee of the Corporation decreed "that tickets be sold to students wishing to use the bathing tubs in the basement of University Hall at the rate of 50 cents for five tickets."University Hall