John Nicholas Brown went to Harvard, but continued his association with Brown as a Trustee from 1930 to 1935, when he became a Fellow, and as Secretary of the Corporation from 1963 to 1971.Brown family
Curt J. Ducasse retired from part-time teaching at Brown in 1958, after which he accepted a part-time teaching position at New York University, He was the author of "The Philosophy of Art" in 1930, "Nature, Mind and Death" in 1951, and "A Critical Examination of the Belief in a Life after Death" in 1961, and numerous articles and other books.Ducasse, Curt J.
Elizabethans was an association founded by women students in October 1930, probably prompted by the formation of the Erasmians, as the constitution of that organization has been kept in the records of the Elizabethans.Elizabethans
Randall was made assistant professor of mathematics and civil engineering in 1891, advanced the next year to associate professor of mechanical drawing, and was from 1892 to 1930 professor of applied mathematics.Engineering
At the last meeting of Everett’s famous course in Ethics in 1930, the students in the class presented him with a leather-bound illuminated testimonial, which read:Everett, Walter G.
The women’s biology course continued to be taught by women, but Magel C. Wilder ’19, who became an instructor in biology at the Women’s College in 1921 and was named assistant professor in 1930, also taught men students.Faculty
William Herbert Perry Faunce (1859-1930), ninth president of Brown University, was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, on January 15, 1859, the son of Reverend Daniel W. Faunce, a graduate of Amherst College and Newton Theological Institution and Mary Parkhurst Perry of Bristol.Faunce, William H. P.
On January 12, 1879 during the week of his twentieth birthday he wrote a twenty-page letter to his father, full of memories of past problems and uncertainty about the future: When the beloved president known to students as "Prexy" and "Willie Horse Power Faunce" retired in 1929 at the age of seventy, the Corporation wanted to provide a residence for him, and $40,000 was contributed by five friends to acquire the house at 41 Lloyd Avenue where he lived until his death on January 31, 1930.Faunce, William H. P.
Another calendar, which began in September 1930 as the "Brown University Weekly Calendar," changed its name abruptly in December 1932 to "Brown University Weekly Bulletin," and continued under that title, even after it had changed to biweekly publication and adopted a newspaper format in January 1976.GSJ George Street Journal
Taylor’s first two teams, which boasted such players as Philip Lingham ’30, Westcott Moulton ’31, G. Edward Crane ’31, and Alden R. Walls ’31, won eight, lost three, and tied one in 1929-30, and in 1930-31 had a 9-1 record, losing only to Dartmouth.Hockey
With room for 300,000 volumes, the building was expected to last for generations, but by 1930 the demand for space for library operations had become so critical that windows were installed in the first floor coat room to provide work space for the clerical staff and new stacks were installed in the top floor exhibition room.John Hay Library
It was bought in 1920 by Frank Hinckley and in 1930 by William Viall.Kassar House
His writings included "The Liberal College" in 1920, "Freedom and the College" in 1923, "The Experimental College" in 1930, "Free Speech and its Relation to Self-Government" in 1948, and "Political Freedom; the Constitutional Powers of the People" in 1960, Alexander Meiklejohn was a long-time member of the National Committee of the American Civil Liberties Union.Meiklejohn, Alexander
In 1930, for the first time Brown students were able to major in music, and for the first time in 1930-31 credit was given for work in applied music, as students who had already had training in singing or playing instruments upon examination were allowed to continue their training under an approved teacher.Music
Also, in 1930, Arlan Coolidge ’26 succeeded Gene Ware as professor of music.Music
The suggestion for a program of this type first appeared in the report of the Survey Committee which studied the University and made recommendations in 1930.Nursing program
His many humorous books included "Dawn Ginsbergh’s Revenge," which was published anonymously in 1929, "Parlor, Bedlam and Bath" in 1930, "Crazy Like a Fox" in 1944, "The Swiss Family Perelman" in 1950, and "The Road to Miltown" in 1957.Perelman, S. J.
The chapter celebrated its hundredth anniversary in 1930.Phi Beta Kappa
Walter Goodnow Everett 1885, after several years of teaching Latin, was appointed associate professor of philosophy in 1894 and remained with the department until his retirement in 1930.Philosophy
In 1930 the department inaugurated Monday afternoon teas which provided informal meetings of the faculty and students.Philosophy
The department was enlarged by the arrival of Charles A. Baylis (logic and ethics) in 1927, Ralph M. Blake (history of philosphy and metaphysics) in 1930, Arthur E. Murphy (contemporary philosophy, epistemology, and ethics) in 1931, Frederick C. Dommeyer (social and ethics) and William Barrett (contemporary philosophy and aesthetics).Philosophy
Marjorie Brown was in charge from 1922 until 1926, when she left to marry H. Stanton Smith ’21, and was succeeded by Frances Dennett, who remained until 1930.Physical Education
Frances Dennett Tiedemann was director of physical education in 1926 until 1930, when Bessie Rudd arrived to preside over women’s athletics and physical education until 1961.Physical Education
R. Bruce Lindsay 1920, who returned to teach in 1930, became chairman of the department in 1934 and Hazard professor in 1936.Physics
Otis E. Randall was assistant professor of mathematics and civil engineering in 1891-92, associate professor of mechanical drawing from 1892 to 1896, and professor of applied mechanics from 1896 until his retirement in 1930.Randall, Otis E.
At the 1930 Commencement the Brown Club of Chicago presented a portrait of Randall painted by Howard E. Smith of Boston to the University.Randall, Otis E.
It was not until 1949 that rowing was revived by a group of students who had rowed at their preparatory schools and got together to purchase for $100 a shell of questionable age, rumored to have been built for Harvard about 1930, but possibly older.Rowing
In 1930 Otto Van Koppenhagen bought a summer home in Edgartown, and in 1934 began a series of concerts held in his living room, which held an audience of 150, in which he was joined by his wife, a soprano, who was also a native of Arnheim.Van Koppenhagen, Otto