The 1912 regulations also prescribed black hoods, three feet long for bachelor’s degree, three and one-half feet for the master’s, and four feet for the doctor’s, lined with the official color, brown.Academic costume
Between 1877 and 1912, Brown graduated five black men who were to become presidents of black colleges, who thus passed their education on to innumerable others.African Americans
In 1911-1912 an international exchange of lecturers between Japan and the United States was undertaken at the instigation of Hamilton Holt, editor of the "Independent," and under the supervision of President Nicholas Murray Butler of Columbia.Asians
In 1912 a team which included pitchers Joe Conzelman ’12 and Eddie Warner ’12, and shortstop Ken Nash ’12, won nineteen games and lost five.Baseball
Harry Pattee ’06, who played shortstop for two of his undergraduate years and also played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, coached the Brown team from 1912 to 1921.Baseball
Robert F. Chambers received a bachelor of philosophy degree in 1909, a master of science in 1910, and a master of arts and Ph.D. in 1912, all from Brown, specializing in the study of organic chemistry under Professor John E. Bucher.Chambers, Robert F.
In 1912, Blanche N. Davis succeeded Hamilton MacDougall and Lacey Baker as chapel director.Chapel
William Farr Church (1912-1977), professor of history, was born in Monmouth, Illinois, on December 13, 1912.Church, William F.
James Q. Dealey also published "The Development of the States" in 1909, "The Family in its Sociological Aspects" in 1912, "Growth of the State Constitutions" in 1915, "State and Government" in 1921, "Foreign Policies of the United States" in 1926, and "Political Situations in Rhode Island" in 1928.Dealey, James Q.
Alexander Meiklejohn was dean from 1901 to 1912, and concerned himself with scholastic achievement, attendance, athletic activities, and social life of the students.Dean
He was also the founder in 1912 of the Diman Vocational School in Fall River, Massachusetts.Diman, Jeremiah Lewis
Curt J. Ducasse received his bachelor and master of arts degrees from the University of Washington in 1908 and 1909, taught there for one year, then went to Harvard as a University Scholar in 1910 and received his Ph.D. degree in 1912.Ducasse, Curt J.
In 1912 a spot on Camp’s first team went to George "Kid" Crowther ’13, nicknamed for his small size, 130 pounds, which did not prevent him from making a dazzling 48-yard run for a touchdown in the Harvard game that year, after the Harvard coach had suggested that the small player should be removed from the game for his own safety.Football
A successful million dollar endowment fund in 1912, aided by a contribution of $150,000 from the General Education Board, was distributed as follows: $200,000 for the Women’s College, $225,000 for the pension fund, $50,000 for the Library, and $525,000 for the general funds.Fund-raising
There also in 1912 the work of the State Natural Resources Survey, of which Professor Brown was the director, was carried on.Geology
The State of Rhode Island began in 1912-13 to grant graduate scholarships in education to teachers in service.Graduate School
Hunter became an instructor at the University of Texas in 1912, adjunct professor at the University of Kansas in 1916, and the first G. Stanley Hall Professor of Genetic Psychology at Clark University in 1925.Hunter, Walter S.
From 1904 to 1908Charles A. Kraus was a research assistant in physical chemistry at M.I.T., where he received his Ph.D. degree in 1908, after which he was a research associate until 1912, and associate professor of physical chemical research from 1912 to 1914.Kraus, Charles A.
Machado House at 87 Prospect Street was formerly the Ellen Dexter Sharpe House, a two-and-one-half story brick Elizabethan Revival house designed by Parker, Thomas and Rice, and built as the Sharpe family home in 1912.Machado House
Norman S. Taber ’13, came in third in the 1500-metre race and second in the 3000-metre race in 1912.Olympic Games
An appreciation of Palmer’s work at Brown appeared in the memorial minute of the faculty in 1940: His book, "The Theory of Measurement," published in 1912, became a standard text in precision measurement.Palmer, Albert D.
Janet Auty was instructor from 1901 to 1904, followed by Jessie Adams from 1906, who resigned in December 1906 because of ill health, and was replaced by Helen Wilbur Paine, who taught until 1912.Physical Education
Dr. Jeannie Oliver Arnold was physician at the Women’s College from 1902 to 1912 and lectured to the students on care of the body, rest and exercise, food, and clothing.Physical Education
Dealey’s teaching was mostly in sociology, while John Corliss Dunning, assistant professor from 1912 to 1926, taught only political science.Political Science
The club was self-perpetuating at first, but in 1912 was changed into a representative club composed of the presidents of the student organizations, editors of student publications, and the president of the senior class.Question Club
Otis E. Randall's publications include "Directions in Regard to the Construction of Plates in Mechanical Drawing" in 1895, "Shades and Shadows in Perspective" in 1902, and a textbook, "Elements of Descriptive Geometry," in 1912.Randall, Otis E.
The expense of remodeling proved too high, and in 1912 the building was partially opened to receive the Department of Economics and its library of 10,000 volumes.Robinson Hall
About 1912 Sayles Gym was reorganized under Miss M. Elizabeth Bates, the new instructor in hygiene and physical education, to include Swedish apparatus in the gymnasium, a corrective room (for posture), a quiet rest room (for students unable to exercise), and a social rest-room "for the refreshment of the senses," where non-resident students could gather.Sayles Gymnasium
Louis F. Snow then had a number of educational appointments: Chairman of the English Department at the Normal School, Cortland, New York, 1908-09; Dean of Teacher’s College and professor of education, State University of Kentucky, 1909-1911; professor of philosophy and education, Wells College, 1911-12; librarian, University of Pittsburgh, 1912-1914; chief of the English Department and librarian, University of the Philippines, 1914-1918.Snow, Louis F.
Soccer made its first appearance at Brown in 1912 when the Athletic Board voted to purchase a soccer ball and to erect goal posts on Lincoln Field.Soccer
East House on Meeting Street was acquired in 1912, the gift of Stephen O. Metcalf, and was used as a dormitory of the Women’s College.Student housing