The women’s teams have been coached by Mary Avery in 1958, Sarah Phillips in 1960, Jan Lutz in 1972-73, Gail Davis from 1973 to 1975; Carole Kleinfelder from 1975-76, Gail Klock from 1976 to 1980; Maureen Enos from 1980 to 1988; and Jean Marie Burr since 1988.Basketball
The "Brown Review," subtitled "The Magazine of Brown University, formerly Brunonia," first appeared in the fall of 1960, announcing that it would be published quarterly by the students of Brown University in cooperation with the English Department and the Committee on Student Organizations.Brown Review
The last issue of "Brunonia" came out in the spring of 1960, after which the magazine changed its name to "Brown Review" and decided to devote itself entirely to literary areas, giving up pictorial and humorous endeavors.Brunonia
In 1949 when Bryant was reincorporated as a tax-exempt, non-profit institution, its charter included a provision that the college with all its assets was to be offered to Brown University on January 2, 1960 or on the death of its president, Henry Loeb Jacobs, should that occur earlier.Bryant College
In 1956 Brown declined the proposal when the Bryant trustees asked for its cancellation, now that Bryant’s conditions had improved as a non-profit institution and its faculty members were becoming worried about the rapidly approaching radical change in 1960.Bryant College
Gardner Hall, a dormitory built on Power Street in 1960, was renamed Perkins Hall in 1974 in honor of Judge Fred B. Perkins ’19.Bryant College
The English Department of the 1940s was recalled by Mark Spilka ’49 in his address to Phi Beta Kappa in 1974: Later additions to the faculty were Albert D. Van Nostrand in 1951, James O. Barnhill in 1953, Hyatt H. Waggoner and Barbara K. Lewalski in 1956, R. Verlin Cassill, John C. B. Hawkes, and David Krause in 1958, Charles H. Nichols in 1960, David H. Hirsch in 1961, James E. Schevill and John Shroeder in 1968, Michael S. Harper and Robert E. Scholes in 1970.English
In 1960, Bessie Rudd’s last season of coaching, Pembroke finished 5-1, losing only to the Bouvé School, which specialized in physical education.Field Hockey
In 1960 the building was needed for rehearsal rooms and studios for the Department of Music.Fraternities
In June 1959 a major fund drive to raise fifteen million dollars was launched with Thomas J. Watson, Jr. ’37 as chairman, and continued through 1960 and the first part of 1961.Fund-raising
In 1960 the Ford Foundation announced a Special Program in Education, designed to offer challenge grants to a few institutions with no restrictions, dispensed on the basis of the presentation by their presidents of plans for five and ten year permanent improvements projected for the colleges.Fund-raising
The department had only two chairmen in its first 55 years, Professor Brown from its beginning in 1905, and from 1941 to 1960 Alonzo Quinn, who had joined the department in 1929.Geology
By 1960 other young faculty, Léo Laporte, Bruno Giletti, and Thomas Mutch, had been recruited.Geology
After that Julian H. Gibbs worked for eight years in research and industry at General Electric Company and American Viscose Corporation before coming to Brown in 1960 as associate professor of chemistry.Gibbs, Julian H.
The others were John Adams in 1787, Thomas Jefferson in 1797, Woodrow Wilson in 1903, Herbert Hoover in 1916, and Lyndon Johnson in 1960, all of whom received their degrees before election, and William Howard Taft who received his in 1914 after leaving office.Honorary degrees
His writings included "The Liberal College" in 1920, "Freedom and the College" in 1923, "The Experimental College" in 1930, "Free Speech and its Relation to Self-Government" in 1948, and "Political Freedom; the Constitutional Powers of the People" in 1960, Alexander Meiklejohn was a long-time member of the National Committee of the American Civil Liberties Union.Meiklejohn, Alexander
Other officers who headed the Air Science Department were Col. Gilbert E. Goodman from 1955 to 1957, Lt. Col. George W. Hutcheson from 1958 to 1960, Major Arthur E. Allen from 1960 to 1961, Lt. Col. William J. Grundmann from 1962 to 1966, Major Robert G. Liotta from 1966 to 1969, and Capt.Military education
In 1960 the Division of Modern Languages was replaced by five separate language and literature departments (French, German, Linguistics, Spanish and Italian, and Slavic languages) and a Modern Language Board consisting of the five chairmen and two coordinators.Modern Languages
In 1959 a special committee, noting that the University of Rhode Island and Salve Regina College were offering four-year nursing programs and that the steps necessary for accreditation of the Pembroke program were not practical considering the small number of students, recommended that registration for the bachelor of science degree in nursing be discontinued with the class entering in 1960.Nursing program
Georgiana McLean was associate executive secretary of the University Christian Association from 1958 to 1960, and was succeeded by Nancy Simons, who was director of religious activities at Pembroke and became assistant chaplain in 1965.Religious Societies
John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (1874-1960) came to Brown in the fall of 1893 on the advice of a young minister at the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, William Herbert Perry Faunce, later president of Brown, who recommended the college for its advantages of small classes, contact with professors, the inspiration of President E. B. Andrews, and the fact that "Providence is more healthful than New Haven."Rockefeller, John D., Jr.
After an undefeated season the 1960 crew took part in the IRA regatta on Lake Onondaga at Syracuse without the presence of Helander, who was serving his annual Marine Corps military service.Rowing
Bessie H. Rudd favored compulsory physical education for all four years of college, and disapproved when the requirement was reduced to three years in 1960 and later abolished.Rudd, Bessie H.
Rugby as a club sport began in 1960, started by David Zucconi ’55, who had played rugby in England while stationed there with the Air Force.Rugby
In 1954 Schlosberg was appointed chairman of the department and in 1960 he was named Edgar J. Marston Professor.Schlosberg, Harold
He arrived in 1960, in time to play on the new field on Aldrich-Dexter Field which he described as "the only field in the United States where if it rained real hard, you could put a ball on the field and watch it float across to the other side."Soccer
Weimar was active in his community, serving on the school committee of his town, North Kingstown, from 1954 to 1960, when he bought a larger house in Warwick.Weimar, Karl S.
He served as chairman until 1960, at which time President Keeney noted that Wilson "provided a climate which made it possible for members of the Biology Department to flourish intellectually and personally, and they have achieved a national reputation for their research and their teaching."Wilson, James Walter