Encyclopedia Brunoniana


  • In 1775-76, they had contracts with the Secret Committee to cast cannon at the Hope Furnace.Brown family
  • From 1775 to 1796, John Brown was Treasurer of the College.Brown family
  • His father was a farmer who joined the revolutionary army in 1775, but was forced by illness to return home, where Tristam Burges turned his efforts to raising men and collecting clothing for the army.Burges, Tristam
  • There was no Commencement in 1775 by request of the students, who were deeply affected by the battles of Lexington and Concord.Commencement
  • At the start of the Revolutionary War Morgan Edwards was loyal to the king, but on August 7, 1775 signed a recantation of his statements.Edwards, Morgan
  • In 1770 there were twenty students and by 1775 enrollment had increased to 41.Enrollment
  • The meeting house was dedicated on May 28, 1775.First Baptist Church
  • On July 9 he had written of the move in a letter: After his graduation Foster became an attorney and served as Providence Town Clerk from 1775 to 1787, as Secretary of the Rhode Island Council of War from 1776 to 1781, and as Representative to the General Assembly from 1776 to 1782.Foster, Theodore
  • Stephen Hopkins was a member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives from 1732 to 1752 and from 1770 to 1775.Hopkins, Stephen
  • Musical Clubs at Brown have a history which dates back to 1775, when Andrew Law 1775 organized a singing group of fellow students.Musical Clubs
  • Solomon Drowne 1773, Philip Padelford 1773, Barnabas Binney 1774, Pardon Bowen 1775, and Levi Wheaton 1782 all served as surgeons.Revolutionary War
  • Esek Hopkins 1775, son of the admiral, was master of a privateer which captured the British ship "Westermoreland" in August 1776.Revolutionary War
  • The first treasurer, John Tillinghast, served until 1767, and was followed by Job Bennett from 1767 to 1775.Treasurer
  • John Brown, one of the four Brown brothers, became treasurer in 1775, and managed the financial affairs of the university for 21 years, contributing generously from his own funds.Treasurer
  • William Williams became pastor of the Wrentham church in 1775 and was ordained the next year.Williams, William
  • The court was so named in memory of the men of Brown who have died in the service of their country since 1775.Wriston Quadrangle