Louis Franklin Snow (1862-1934), first dean of the Women’s College, was born in Providence on April 19, 1862. His early education was at Mowry and Goff’s English and Classical School. He graduated from Brown in 1887 with a degree of bachelor of philosophy, after which he earned a bachelor of arts degree and a master of arts degree from Harvard in 1889 and 1890. He became instructor in elocution at Brown in 1890. In 1892 he became at the request of President Andrews the first dean of the newly formed Women’s College. He resigned in 1900 to do advanced work in education leading to the receipt of his Ph.D. degree from Columbia in 1903. From 1903 to 1905 he was secretary-treasurer of the Examiner Company in New York and in 1905-06 he was registrar of Teacher’s College at Columbia. He then had a number of educational appointments: Chairman of the English Department at the Normal School, Cortland, New York, 1908-09; Dean of Teacher’s College and professor of education, State University of Kentucky, 1909-1911; professor of philosophy and education, Wells College, 1911-12; librarian, University of Pittsburgh, 1912-1914; chief of the English Department and librarian, University of the Philippines, 1914-1918. After war work in Washington, he taught briefly at the State Normal School, Natchitoches, Louisiana, and at the University of Alabama, and in 1921 became professor of English at the University of Chattanooga, where he remained until his retirement in 1931. He died in Chattanooga on December 26, 1934.