Two sons of Nicholas Brown 1786 attended, Nicholas Brown 1811, United States Consul in Italy from 1845 to 1853, and John Carter Brown 1816, donor of the funds for the library building which is now Robinson Hall, and founder of the collection of Americana which constitutes the John Carter Brown Library.Brown family
John Carter Brown 1816 had two sons, John Nicholas Brown 1885 and Harold Brown 1886, both of whom died in May 1900, leaving their estates to the three-month old John Nicholas Brown, Jr. Young John Nicholas led a secluded life as a child, partly because of his frailty, which may have been caused by growth.Brown family
The campus buildings which are associated with the Brown family are University Hall, which was built by Nicholas Brown and Company, Hope College and Manning Hall, which were given by Nicholas Brown 1786, Rhode Island Hall, to which Nicholas Brown 1786 made a generous donation, Robinson Hall, which was built as a library with a bequest from John Carter Brown 1816, the John Carter Brown Library, built with a bequest from John Nicholas Brown 1885 to house the collection begun by John Carter Brown 1816, Carrie Tower, erected by Paul Bajnotti as a memorial to his wife, Carrie Mathilde Brown, daughter of Nicholas Brown 1811, and the Annmary Brown Memorial erected by Rush C. Hawkins as a memorial to his wife, Annmary Brown Hawkins, also the daughter of Nicholas Brown 1811.Brown family
Foster kept a law office near his farm, and traveled to Providence as representative of the town of Foster in the General Assembly from 1812 to 1816.Foster, Theodore
Charles Coffin Jewett (1816-1868), librarian and professor of modern languages, was born in Lebanon, Maine, on August 12, 1816.Jewett, Charles C.
The John Carter Brown Library houses a collection of Americana which John Carter Brown 1816 began to collect in 1846 when he purchased a small collection of American books from his brother, Nicholas Brown 1811, who was leaving for Rome where he was to be United States Consul General.John Carter Brown Library
In 1816 William L. Marcy was appointed Recorder of Troy, an office from which he was removed in 1818 after he criticized Governor DeWitt Clinton’s administration in the Albany "Argus."Marcy, William L.
During 1815 and 1816 he was attached to the frigate Java under Commodore Perry, which served in the Mediterranean, and returned to Newport in March 1817, bearing a new treaty with Algiers and eighteen mild cases of smallpox, which Parsons had induced through inoculation with the small pox virus to prevent more serious illness.Parsons, Usher
John Carter Brown 1816, who died in 1874, had bequeathed to the University a lot at the corner of Waterman and Prospect Streets as a site for a library, along with $50,000 for the building.Robinson Hall
Ives died in 1857, and was succeeded by his brother, Robert Hale Ives 1816.Treasurer
Abandoning medicine to study for the ministry, Francis Wayland enrolled at Andover Seminary in 1816 and studied for one year under Moses Stuart before lack of funds forced him to withdraw.Wayland, Francis