Van Wickle Hall was built in 1902 and was originally called the Administration Building. Its cornerstone was laid on June 18, 1901, the same day that the Van Wickle Gates were dedicated, by Marjorie Van Wickle, daughter of Augustus Stout Van Wickle 1876, donor of the building. Van Wickle Hall was of red brick with sandstone trimmings and a wooden cupola and railing around the roof. The first floor had an octagonal hall flanked by the president’s and dean’s suites and rooms for the faculty and registrar. On the second floor were libraries and committee rooms. When University Hall became the administration building in 1940, the building was turned over to the Department of English and renamed Van Wickle Hall. It was razed for the building of the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library.