The President’s chain and pendant, which is worn on ceremonial occasions when the mace is carried, was an anonymous gift of an honorary alumnus in 1965. The golden chain contains ten scallop shells, heraldic symbols of goodness and wisdom, which are joined at the bottom by a larger shell. Alternating with the shells are links composed of pairs of facing B’s, reminiscent of Brown’s two centuries. On the top of the chain is the seal of Rhode Island. Suspended from the large scallop shell is the coat of arms of the University, finished in enamel. The scallop shell is linked to the chain by clusters of ivy which join it to the two earlier seals of Rhode Island College. The chain was presented by Chancellor H. Stanford McLeod on behalf of the donor at the Alumni Dinner preceding the Commencement of 1965, at which President Barnaby C. Keeney wore it for the first time. The chain was later reported to be a gift of President Wriston.
A similar chain for the chancellor was presented by the President to Chancellor Richard Salomon at the 1983 Commencement. The pendant on the chancellor’s chain is the present seal of the University surrounded by laurel, suspended from the likeness of the first chancellor, Stephen Hopkins, in the middle of the date of founding, 1764. Linked on either side above are depictions of University Hall and the Van Wickle Gates. The chain is made of alternating links of open books and enameled white links with red B’s.