The Philendean Society was established in 1815 for the purpose of providing assistance to indigent fellow students “whose poverty alone prevents their appearing among the brightest ornaments of our Institution.” The assistance was rendered principally by lending copies of expensive “Classics” needed for study. A statistical account of the society in November 1825 reported seventeen members, thirteen beneficiaries, and a library of 135 volumes. Anniversary meetings were held in June on the second Saturday after the commencement of summer term, at which a member of the senior class delivered a lecture. The minutes of the society and lists of members and beneficiaries indicate that it continued until 1828. Books from the library of the society continued to be lent until 1846. During its thirteen years of operation, a membership of 185 assisted 76 needy students.