Nicholson House at 71 George Street, was originally the home of Francis W. Goddard, built in 1878-79 and given to him by his mother, Charlotte Ives Goddard. Designed by Stone and Carpenter, the building is a “Modern Gothic” dwelling with a high hip roof. In the twentieth century it was the home of Samuel C. Nicholson, president of Nicholson File Company. The University acquired ownership of the house in 1944, with an agreement that Mrs. Nicholson had the right to occupy it during her lifetime. It was voted by the Advisory and Executive Committee in 1948 that the name of the building would be Nicholson House. In 1963 the Brown University Press moved into Nicholson House, and was followed by other offices connected with University Relations.