Encyclopedia Brunoniana

Metcalf Hall

Metcalf Hall, the second dormitory on the campus of the Women’s College, was built in 1919 on land which had been acquired by the gift of Stephen O. Metcalf. West Cottage was torn down to make way for the new building facing Miller Hall, the first women’s dormitory on the campus. Funds were raised by the Rhode Island Society for the Collegiate Education of Women, and Mr. Metcalf contributed $80,000 of the $140,000 cost of the building.