Horace Mann House at 47-49 George Street was built by Seth Adams as a rental property in 1854. The architect of the Italianate brick double house was Richard Upjohn. The house was bought after Adams’ death by Daniel Berkeley Updike and was at one time occupied by Nicholas Brown 1811, American consul in Rome and father of two daughters whose memorials are Carrie Tower and the Annmary Brown Memorial. The University purchased the building from the the estate of Willard S. Achorn in 1938. It was used as a dormitory and was called Megee House until 1940 when it was named for Horace Mann 1819. It is currently occupied by the English Department, which moved in when Van Wickle Hall was razed for the building of the Rockefeller Library.