Encyclopedia Brunoniana

Emery and Woolley Halls

Emery and Woolley Halls were built in 1963 to house 227 students on the Pembroke Campus. The modern four-story buildings of brick with horizontal limestone bands at each floor level, together with Champlin and Morriss Halls, completed the “Pembroke Quadrangle.” The architect was Robert C. Dean of Perry, Shaw, Hepburn and Dean. The general contractor was Turgeon Construction Company. The dormitories were named for Anne Crosby Emery Allinson, second dean of Pembroke College, and Mary Emma Woolley, one of the first two women graduates in 1894, who became president of Mount Holyoke College.