Alumni Field Day became part of the Commencement festivities in 1958. Two years earlier the class of 1951 had held a Thayer Field carnival at its reunion. In 1957 the classes of 1949, 1950, and 1951 joined in a similar celebration of their off-year on-campus reunion in a tent, with activities for the whole family. Alumni Field Day took place in 1958 on newly acquired Aldrich-Dexter Field with a circus tent for headquarters and a smaller tent for the twenty-fifth reunion class. In time new events were added to the schedule, such as an Old Timers’ baseball game, a rugby match, and swimming in the pool. The event was renamed Brown Field Day in 1974.