The Alumnae Association began in 1900, when by invitation of the Class of 1899 of the Women’s College the first association of women graduates of Brown was formed and named the Andrews Association in honor of E. Benjamin Andrews. Charlotte Tillinghast 1896 was elected temporary president, and the next year became the first president of the permanent organization. In 1906, when the Corporation provided for alumnae representation on the Advisory Council for the Women’s College, the Andrews Association with its voluntary membership became the all-inclusive Alumnae Association of Brown University. In 1914 the Alumnae Association was admitted to membership in the Association of Collegiate Alumnae. In 1909 Boston and New York alumnae clubs were formed, followed by a Connecticut Valley club, and a Washington club. The Providence Club was formed in 1923 and immediately subscribed $5000 for the building of Alumnae Hall. The alumnae clubs held social meetings, invited speakers, formed reading groups, and sponsored teas for prospective students. In 1952 the New York and Providence clubs changed their names from Brown Alumnae Club to Pembroke College Club. After the merger of Pembroke College with Brown University in 1971, the alumnae clubs began to merge with the Brown Clubs.
There was a separate alumnae meeting at Commencement for the first time in 1933, which took place at the same time as the meeting of alumni. The Dean reported, “Alumnae Hall was crowded with alumnae, the seniors and their families, and many friends of the College. Miss Eva LeGallienne ... delivered a stimulating address. The occasion was not only significant in itself, but it fittingly symbolized the growing importance and independence of the Alumnae Association of Brown University.” The Alumnae Fund had at that time been in operation for more than two years and had raised $15,000 and offered two scholarships for entering freshmen. Among the executive secretaries of the Association were Elizabeth L. Young ’24 from 1927 to 1929, Gertrude Allen McConnell ’10 from 1929 to 1955, Doris Hopkins Stapelton ’28 from 1955 to 1972, and Mary Louise Reece Barksdale ’51 in 1972-73. On June 3, 1973 the Brown Alumnae Association merged with the Associated Alumni.