Adams House at 12 George Street, acquired in 1945, is named for Vice-President James P. Adams. A three-storied stucco building with double doors, it was built by Thomas Poynton Ives in the late 1820s. Mrs. William Gammell, granddaughter of Ives, owned it in the late nineteenth century, after which it became a boarding house. Adams House was opened as a dormitory for 32 students in 1946. After serving as a dormitory for both undergraduate and graduate students and for faculty offices, it was unused for two years before being renovated in 1961 as the headquarters of the Institute for Health Sciences which had been housed in Partridge Hall. It has since served as an annex to the English Department, and housed the Center for Modern Culture and Media.